Thursday, July 29, 2010

Great Aussie Adventure - Day 6 - State 2!



Today I woke up in Healesville, Victoria. It was again cloudy and drizzling. But I headed toward Marysville. If this sounds familiar, it should. It was one of the towns that was wiped out by the bush fires in February 2009. The drive up to Marysville was interesting. There were trees trunks that were completely black and charred, but they also had green leaves spiraling up the trunk and coming off of the trunk. Of course, as I was driving, I was unable to photograph it. But the drive up was pretty, very green and the sun was peaking through every now and then and it was drizzling. Very nice.



Then once I got to Marysville, there was so much construction going on on the houses and buildings. There were so many black tree stumps and buildings that were demolished and blackened. But there were also so many new houses and supermarkets, etc. And since it’s fall, the leaves in this mountain town were really pretty. Red and orange and yellow. It was too sad for me to stay for very long (plus it’s a small town), so I left after 45 minutes.





I then went the wrong way (again) near Melbourne on the toll roads, so I bypassed (accidentally) Brighton Beach which has colored swimming shacks. But luckily, outside Frankston, there were more colored swimming shacks. I’m not sure why they are so famous, but I sure liked seeing them.




Then I made my way to McCrae and found Eastern Channel Lighthouse (AKA McCrae Lighthouse, AKA Dromana Lighthouse, AKA Rosebud Lighthouse, AKA Southern Channel Lighthouse). It is a nice looking lighthouse. It is situated at the South Channel on the eastern side of Port Phillip Bay and is the tallest on mainland Victoria. It is in the town of McCrae, in between the towns of Dromana and Rosebud. This light has not been operational since 1994, but it did flash every 15 seconds and could be seen for 13 Nautical Miles. (See attached photo for more info! I started copying the signs, but I was a bit tired of typing!







Then I got on the ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff and saw the three lighthouses there. Since I’ve already seen the three lighthouses, the Great Ocean Road and the 12 Apostles, I took the quicker route inland to Warrnambool where I am spending the night. Warrnambool is on the Far East Victorian Coast, on the Southern Ocean. Since it was cloudy and rainy, there was another great sunset! I had another great dinner. Fish and chips this time at a brewery and one of the beers they brewed! Very nice!! On the road, I drove through a town named Colac, which is the sister city to Walker, Michigan!!



I was unsure about doing this trip in the fall/winter, but it’s good, just cold! But because it is the off peak, I’ve gotten really good rates on hotels and since the sun goes down at 5ish, it’s forced me to stop driving earlier than I would if it was lighter later. But that’s enough for now.

0 comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States
I'm originally from Colorado, but I've been living in Australia for three years. Before that, I lived all over the U.S.: Washington State, Maine, California, Oregon, Nebraska, North Carolina, Arizona, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and more... No, I'm not a military brat or a military wife; I was a traveling nurse for 5 years so I moved to a new city every 3 months. During my travels, I became intrigued with lighthouses and started making plans to photograph as many as I could in whichever state I was living (including the two in Nebraska!) My blog is about my trips to various lighthouses, as well as other interesting trips. I hope you enjoy reading, and leave a comment or two!