Monday, July 11, 2011

Great Aussie Adventure - Day 31

There was nothing scary in my shower!!! Thank goodness! But I left Kakadu this morning, because of all the road closures. On the way out of the park, I saw a crocodile sunning himself on the bank of the South Alligator River. I was driving across the bridge and that was close enough for me! I also saw a dingo crossing the road and a kangaroo eating on the side of the road. There were a lot of different types of birds, but I don’t know what kind they were. I drove back to Darwin where I’ll be spending the night again.
I know that this is a lighthouse trip, so you are probably wondering about the last 5 days that I’ve spent in the Northern Territory. Well, there are only 5 lighthouses here and all in the Darwin area. One, as you know, can be seen from the air, but is not accessible by road. There are three that are on islands and since I’ve been travelling for 30 days, I’m out of time and money, so I had to skip the island lighthouses (this I decided in the planning stages.) And the fifth lighthouse is on the navy base, and since I’m not in the navy, I can’t get to it! But I have enjoyed my time here in the Northern Territory, even though it’s been so hot. Oh and I learned today that the wet season is in the summer and that’s when it rains and rains and rains. The winter is when it’s dry and hot!! But in the summer, it’s still hot, just wet!! I am unable to wrap my brain around it!!!

0 comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States
I'm originally from Colorado, but I've been living in Australia for three years. Before that, I lived all over the U.S.: Washington State, Maine, California, Oregon, Nebraska, North Carolina, Arizona, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and more... No, I'm not a military brat or a military wife; I was a traveling nurse for 5 years so I moved to a new city every 3 months. During my travels, I became intrigued with lighthouses and started making plans to photograph as many as I could in whichever state I was living (including the two in Nebraska!) My blog is about my trips to various lighthouses, as well as other interesting trips. I hope you enjoy reading, and leave a comment or two!