Friday, August 20, 2010

Great Aussie Adventure - Day 17

When I woke up this morning, I realized that one of the lighthouses I skipped was my favorite one, even though I had only seen it online. So I did drive back to Bunbury (surprise, surprise!) to see it. And I’m glad I did, as it’s very cool. It’s checkered for crying out loud! Anyway, it’s called Casuarina Point Lighthouse.





“Prior to 1870, the original navigational aid was a wooden keg & storm lantern on Marlston Hill. The first lighthouse was 3 meters high, wooden, with a storeroom for signal flags. This was updated in 1903 & featured the current copper dome & light. After 33 years of service, increased trade necessitated a new structure. With chequered pattern to improve visibility, it was relocated to the present site in 1971.”



Also in Bunbury is Marlston Hill Lookout, which is the original site of the lighthouse in Bunbury. I’m not sure why it was moved, but it’s kind of cool to see the two of them together. Now, the tower is just a lookout, but you do get a cool view from up here. I was a bit dizzy walking up the spiral staircase to the top, but it was worth it.



View from the top of the tower.

From here, I drove to Munster and found the Woodman Point Lighthouse. I was a bit disappointed as there is no access to this one, not even a road driving up to it, but I did see it from the road, so I pulled over to a caravan park and took some photos through the trees. Ok photos, but hard to see. Then as I was driving away, I saw it in my rear-view mirror and noticed a housing development, (awesome houses) and drove up to a spot where I could actually see the lighthouse and get some good shots. This lighthouse was built as a Leading Light to replace Arthur Head Lighthouse.



And then right after I drove through Coogee (in WA!! I love Coogee in NSW!) As I drove through Fremantle, I got turned around and finally found the right road to Perth. (I’ll see the lighthouses in Fremantle on Wed.) I checked into the hotel and met up with my friend Carrieann and her hubby Paul. We went to Kings Park and the Botanical Gardens here. From the War Memorial in the park, we had amazing views of the city. It is a very pretty city.




Swan River and old brewery that was converted to apartments.


I know that I’m not that tall, but this Boab Tree is frickin’ huge!!! This tree was grown in Northern Western Australia and was driven down to Perth in a truck! Remember the Boab Tree in a couple days!

I remembered there is a Big Thing in Perth in a park, but couldn’t remember which park. There were no signs so we forgot about it until we were leaving and Paul saw the sign pointing to the DNA Tower. We walked where the sign pointed, but couldn’t find it. We asked at the gift shop, (the ladies behind the counter gave Paul a hard time because of his favorite footie team), but they told us where to find it. We sat down and had a drink before leaving and on the way out, we found the Big Thing - DNA tower.



And then we had a nice Chinese dinner. (Thanks again for dinner Paul and Carrieann.) It gets chilly as soon as the sun goes down, but it was a great day!

0 comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States
I'm originally from Colorado, but I've been living in Australia for three years. Before that, I lived all over the U.S.: Washington State, Maine, California, Oregon, Nebraska, North Carolina, Arizona, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and more... No, I'm not a military brat or a military wife; I was a traveling nurse for 5 years so I moved to a new city every 3 months. During my travels, I became intrigued with lighthouses and started making plans to photograph as many as I could in whichever state I was living (including the two in Nebraska!) My blog is about my trips to various lighthouses, as well as other interesting trips. I hope you enjoy reading, and leave a comment or two!