Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Great Aussie Adventure - Day 9

When I first crossed the border into south Australia, the sun was out, but since then, South Australia has been cold and rainy, off and on at least, mostly in the mornings and evenings. I woke up in Murray Bridge and surprise, surprise, it was raining! There is a Big Thing in Murray Bridge, but the clock that everyone told me about was on the courthouse. It just looked like a clock on a court house to me, not a Big Thing. Oh well. Murray Bridge is the town that was first to have a bridge span the Murray River. This was built in 1879. (Very original name!) But it did have some nice churches and the Murray River is pretty cool.



From here, I drove to Cape Jervis through the Murray River wine region. This winery and inn was so cool that I actually turned around 10 minutes after I passed it, so that I could get a photo of it!



When I got to Cape Jervis, it was still raining, but the lighthouse there was nice. It reminded me of the Robe Lighthouse, maybe because it was also built in 1972!! (Good year for lighthouses and for Laura - and for you too Michael!!)



I copied the following from a sign: “Site of the original Cape Jervis Lighthouse - This plaque marks the base of the original lighthouse which was built in 1871. The tower was 23ft high and was fitted with a kerosene wick burner lamp shown on the 10th of August 1871 and was visible for 10 miles. Two lighthouse keepers lived in nearby cottages. In 1910 the kerosene wick burner lamp was replaced with an incandescent kerosene vapour apparatus having an intensity of 3000 candela. In 1927, the lighthouse was converted to an automatic acetylene gas unit flashing a white light of 4500 candela. The two lighthouse keepers were withdrawn. A new lighthouse with an automatic electric light of 41000 candela was erected nearby in 1972.” You can actually see the original base next to the new lighthouse in the second photo above!!

Cape Jervis is where the ferry is that goes to Kangaroo Island. There are four lighthouses on Kangaroo Island, but it was going to cost $60 for me to get the island, $60 to get the car there, and than another $120 for the return ferry ride. So I left Cape Jervis and Kangaroo Island behind (with my $240). (This does not include the fuel for me and the car and hotels!!)

Kangaroo Island

I drove for about an hour to Adelaide. Here I saw Marino Lighthouse. I think this is the lighthouse that Lisa and I saw in November when we were swimming with the dolphins. It was raining when I was here, so I left quickly. However, out in the Southern Ocean, there was a break in the clouds and the sun was shining on the water is a few spaces only. Very weird. I just kind of stumbled onto this lighthouse, I knew the general direction, but then, I looked up and there was the lighthouse! Then I ended up getting turned around leaving this lighthouse and driving around Adelaide instead of through Adelaide like I had planned and somehow ended up a Port Adelaide Lighthouse. I was glad it all worked out like this.



The Port Adelaide Lighthouse was built in 1869. First erected at the entrance to the Port River, this attractive marine signal was re-erected on South Neptune Island in 1901. The lighthouse was dismantled in 1985 and placed on its present site in 1986. It is now located within the maritime museum. I skipped this museum since we all know what happened last time I stopped at a maritime museum!!!



Since I had skipped my day and half trip to Kangaroo Island, and it was 3pm when I was done at Port Adelaide, I decided to drive towards the next lighthouse and was going to stop when it got dark and find a place to stay and eat. (I drove through Dublin!) But then, when it was dark, there was not really any where to stop, just hostels, and we all know I don’t like these, so I ended up driving until 7:30pm to Edithburgh. But it’s ok, there are two lighthouses for me to see in the morning. Since it was dark, when I got here, the moon was out. I remembered that it was the full moon when I was leaving Victoria, but because it was so overcast and cloudy every night, I couldn’t see the moon. But tonight it was breaking through the clouds and was very big and orange. It was cool!! But since I was tired and just wanted to get to the hotel, I didn’t stop to try to photograph it. Plus, it was so dark, there are no street lights on these back roads on the Yorke Peninsula, so I just kept driving, luckily there wasn’t really any wildlife on the roads, just mice and kangaroo rats crossing the street!

0 comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States
I'm originally from Colorado, but I've been living in Australia for three years. Before that, I lived all over the U.S.: Washington State, Maine, California, Oregon, Nebraska, North Carolina, Arizona, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and more... No, I'm not a military brat or a military wife; I was a traveling nurse for 5 years so I moved to a new city every 3 months. During my travels, I became intrigued with lighthouses and started making plans to photograph as many as I could in whichever state I was living (including the two in Nebraska!) My blog is about my trips to various lighthouses, as well as other interesting trips. I hope you enjoy reading, and leave a comment or two!